keren is ordained in the rabbinic lineage of Reb Zalman-Schachter Shalomi as Shaliakh & the first in the new “omana’ya” lineage. “Omanaya” is a Hebrew Ceremonial Artist.
she created the Native Hebrew Spirit path
deeply rooted in the ancient
while at once immediate & relevant
mentoring & ceremony
from ancient roots, modern minded & co-creative. inspired. uplifting.
a bar/bat mitzvah mentoring process with keren includes
- initial family meetings to establish: intentions, goals and curriculum outline
- learning the beautiful ancient hebrew, to read and chant
- learning ancient liturgical melodies
- exploring the ancient hebrew calendar of festivals & learning modern conventional applications as well as alternative possibilities for participation
- creating a theme that guides the mentoring and educational process
- exploring and understanding how this time/process is a “coming of age”
- independence from any affiliation or synagogue establishment, or integrated with those, as the family prefers
- a co-created, inimitable & meaningful ceremony
initial consults about bar/bat mitzvah processes and ceremonies are complimentary
Native Hebrew Spirit path
serves folks who are hungering to be personally touched through a Jewish and Hebrew connection.
They are looking for Universal Truth and Immediate Relevance.
we offer insight into Universal Truths as revealed in ancient Hebrew Texts and as we are able to embody through group learning & ritual.
What is our source-text to peer into the Native Hebrew Spirit? Simply, Tanakh (hebrew bible) . Though we frequently re-tell stories of Abraham & Sarah, Moshe & Miriam, and the many others wandering in the Tanakh, the essences of their practices and experiences are nearly lost in contemporary Jewish practice. here, in the omana’ya path, we re-vitalize their essential wisdom-ways.
At this time in history our remembrance and inclusion of the sensibilities from the more ancient Hebrew Spirit ways can serve this need. as well, this path of practice, education and celebration serves to reveal the Hebrew wisdom as one facet of a varied-culture world-wisdom.
one of the consequences of exiles and collective trauma is the condensation of spiritual practices into “backpack-able religion”.
As keren sees it, now is the time to unpack what was condensed and largely crystallized into the more contemporary texts and protocols. her work as omana’ya is in service to this “unpack”.
- from ordination for omana'ya, minister of jewish ritual and prayer: i recommend any community and individual to be assisted by her in the paths of their life-rituals. i trust her to lead the people in meaningful and artistic rituals with full respect to themselves, as well as to the earth and all of her inhabitants. she is trusted to be drawing her inspiration from the deep well of the ancient and ever-renewing tradition of the Hebrews, since our tribal roots to the late rabbinic periods, with the openness to the reunion of this tradition with all other wisdom and divine peace-seeking traditions of the world. "may the sweet-pleasantness of adonai our source-of-powers be upon us and prepare the workings of our hands..." (psalms)rabbi ohad yisrael nisi ezrachi, israel
- Keren Abrams echoes the voice of the ancestors. She brings clarity to the places in our souls that have been muddled by millennia of fear -- fear of others, fear of self, fear of real-time relating with the Mystery of all Mysteries. Her sacred dance spirals us into a weave that brings us enrichment and beauty, and connects us to Spirit. The resonance of her drum and chant reawakens within us a long-neglected memory of a time when we cared less about more, and did more about caring. Keren Abrams comes to her work with an integrity and intention sorely needed in our time. - Rabbi Gershon WinklerRabbi Gershon Winkler, Author of Magic of the Ordinary: Recovering the Shamanic in Judaism
- It is a huge privilege to learn, share and advance myself with you over these years. I find both comfort and the appropriate amount of push in directions I really need; you help me see my own wisdom and get me out of habitual ruts. I am so thankful that we were brought together! - AT, Marketing Specialist, SF, NM.AT, Marketing Specialist, SF, NM.
- You are freeing words form the imprisonment of literalism! - TM, Author & Poet, SF, NMTM, Author & Poet, SF, NM